Thread: Tire pressure
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #28
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Let's use a little "Cajun logic" and relate it to tire pressure. I don't go to the bank and withdraw $200 and toss $20 in the trash can on the way out the door. I don't go to Burger King, order two Whoppers and toss one in the trash on the way to the table, I don't buy tires with a specific rating and try to find ways to not use them fully.... If the tire is rated at 2400 lbs at 65PSI and 2800 pounds at 80 PSI, why toss that extra protection (weight carrying capacity) in the trash before hitching up the trailer???? Now, if that extra pressure was going to cause damage to the trailer, yes, I'd consider that aspect, but so far, NOBODY has ever documented to me that there is trailer damage incurred when running LRE tires at 80 PSI on a trailer suspension that was delivered from the factory with LRD tires rated at 65 PSI...... YMMV

Sorry, but you may have missed the point of adding a margin to the MINIMUM inflation. Maybe think this way. Assume your bank balance was tied to the DOW 500 with minuteby minute changes in value. If the value at 9AM was $1,123 and you knew you would be charged a $50 "Fee" if the balance dropped below $1,000 would you withdraw $123?

Your loading changes as you go around a corner. The Interply Shear (cause of belt separations) can go up by 20% or greater when you turn a sharp corner and your morning tire pressure will change by 2% for each change of 10°F. With o psi margin that means that every day you would have to adjust the pressure based on that days temperature. Not fun so why not include a "cushion" of +10 % so you would only have to add air if the temperature dropped 50°F.

Understand?