View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 06:31 AM   #91
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_huber View Post
Texas does seem very complicated so I'm glad I don't live there. I was curious so I did a little digging about the details, which are spelled out clearly in the registration manual I found at https://www.txdmv.gov/txdmv-forms/do...tration-manual.

To summarize:
  • They clearly define the terms: "GVWR" = the vehicle manufacturer's certified maximum weight rating as specified on the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin, and "registration weight" = the weight you've registered the vehicle for. Changing your "registration weight" does not change the "GVWR".
  • The vehicle must be registered for a weight no less than the actual vehicle weight plus a pre-determined minimum "carrying capacity" listed in a table, which explains where the 2000 lbs comes from.
  • The registration weight can be no more than the GVWR. Registering with the registration weight higher than the GVWR won't help you if you're pulled over as you'd be over the "maximum legal load limit".
  • The section labelled "Incorrect Gross Weight (Apprehension)" calls out exactly what happens if you're pulled over - if you're over registration weight but under GVWR, they make you pay to increase your registration weight to match your actual weight. If you are over your GVWR they can park your vehicle until you decrease the weight of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I honestly don't know that it can be explained so that you understand it... The registration for my truck clearly states that the GVWR of this vehicle is 9600 pounds... 7600 + 2000 = 9600 it is WRITTEN on the DOCUMENT the registration of the vehicle is what allows me to drive it on the roads of Texas... why is that difficult to comprehend..

The GVWR that drives the driver's license class requirement is the legal GVWR from the registration... Not the Federal sticker on the door... the truck can the registered for a weight up to that amount and down to a weight based of a chart in the document I've previously posted the link for... which for my truck would be 9600 pounds..
TLDR - You can save some money in Texas by choosing a registration weight less than GVWR as long as you never get pulled over weighing more than that weight.

Again, glad I don't need to deal with this in Oregon.
So the question still remains is the requirements for Class A or B driver DL use the GVWR like the website says or uses the "Register Weight" which Texas call GVW (without the "R" since it means rating). I know Kansas and most states don't care about what it really weights but what is capable of weighting IE GVWR of both the truck and RV..

You lucky that your state doesn't require this because Kansas DVM can't get it straight.

Added on Edit -- Let me say it this way. Your Register Weight CAN be less than your GVWR or the truck but that doesn't change the GVWR or the truck. The Class A and B requirements use the term of GVWR, not Register Weight. Register your truck for less than GVWR of the truck is NOT means to not get a Class A or B DL.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote