View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 06:21 AM   #10
C.LeeNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefster View Post
My problem is the grey line extends maybe 2 feet out of the enclosed underbelly before the grey valve, so there is a lot to unfreeze. Thia seems like a bad design that defeats the purpose of enclosing the tanks, since the bottomn 2' of the line is going to freeze right up anyway. It's going to take more than a little hot water in the tank to get through that.

When I talk about boondocking in this weather, in thinking more of Walmart and less remote wilderness, so leaving the valve open probably won't be appreciated. I suppose if it's a short trip I could just let it freeze and then unthaw it when I get home, but I'm not crazy about that idea.

I don't suppose there is any way to keep the last 2' of line full of antifreeze, since it will just dilute with whatever we put in the tank
Yeah, gray water in walmart's parking lot is probably out. But here in the state of New Mexico, there is no restriction on dumping gray water on soil/dirt regardless of location, other than the soil must be able to accept the water..that is, it must be able to soak in. But obviously that would preclude dumping on other people's private soil without permission. I drain my washing machine onto the front lawn here at home since I learned that the fibers from washing clothes plug up septic tank drain fields.

But something popped into my head while reading your post..what about dumping a gallon or two of RV antifreeze down the grey water tank prior to the trip? According to the bottle, it will keep pipes bursting down over 50 below. Or course it will dilute as water is added so the effectiveness will drop..might have to research it a bit and add as needed. I know it's added cost, but it might work for you.

What you describe does seem to be a design issue with a rig that is supposed to have a heated underbelly. Have you checked with the manufacturer to see if they have an answer/solution?

I just did a quick search, because I was curious myself, and it does seem putting non-toxic RV antifreeze in the holding tank is an accepted practice to keep them from freezing while being used, though in one thread a fellow did his own tests and found in some cases the liquid turned to "slush" rather than staying completely liquid. In the same thread, others said they use salt in the holding tanks to keep them from freezing in winter. I hadn't thought of that, and I have no idea how salt would affect sewage treatment wherever you dump the gray water. http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...?topic=60955.0
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote