View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #50
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBO Cookie Monster View Post
Wow. I have narrowed my RV search down to Cougar and Jayco HT. I have to say this thread scares the begeezus out of me!
Dunno how the Jayco product treats its wheel wells, but I do know their flooring is tongue and groove plywood.
I sincerely wish you the best of luck.
This whole RV thing is daunting.
You can be "almost 100% sure that the same construction techniques are used across all major RV brands. Construction (in any price range) is the major component cost. If there was a "significantly better or more durable technique" then all of the manufacturers would be using that method in their trailers. Jayco has "conveniently" eliminated the construction details that were a part of their brochures in years past. They leave much to "owner wishful thinking" after planting the "seeds of hope"... Looking at the current brochure, they state the roofing and floor decking are "tongue and groove". That gives a certain "impression" (to me it means better edge strength). Then a bit further down the list, they indicate the roof decking is 3/8" plywood. They don't state if it is luan or "USA origin" (pine plywood). The older brochures depict laminated floor construction with DARCO as the bottom layer, providing "a waterproof floor"....

IMHO, adding "tongue and groove" construction to the floor decking, on a laminated floor with 1/4" or 3/8" luan (or even plywood) top floor surface, won't improve the strength of the foam or make the floor any more durable than the "flat butt" technique used by Keystone, Forest River, Winnebago or DRV. You can only get so much "strength and durability" out of 3/8" luan or plywood when it's stretched across 24" aluminum stringers, backed with rigid foam and "protected from water intrusion" by DARCO film. The only "improvement" to be seen by the "tongue and groove" construction is less potential for a "visible wear line" on the vinyl flooring that's laid over the joints. Otherwise, potential for water damage, breakage by "stomping" on the unsupported spaces, durability "for the long haul" are essentially the same and aren't improved by "tongue and groove" joints.

As for which trailer brand to buy: They all use the same appliances, same construction techniques (within reason) same FILON, same carpet materials, same vinyl, same wallboard, same TPO roofing, same A/C, same ROMEX, same vinyl wrapped cabinet styles, same sinks, same water pumps, same holding tanks, same staples, same #2 Roberts screws, same converters/power centers, same windows, same butyl sealant tape, same....... same..... same....

For the most part, it comes down to floorplan, colors, which dealer you feel most comfortable buying from, etc. The trailers, for the most part, in any price range, are going to be "about the same quality" as the competition. Otherwise, the "bad choices" would become extinct and disappear..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote