View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think a part of the "situation" (I wouldn't call it a problem) is that quite a few folks ("noobies") aren't really that familiar with the forum layout, some don't even know there is a search feature. They find this place through a Google search and when they click on it, they start reading the newest posts and realize people ask questions and other people answer them. The "noobie" has quesitons, so he/she tries to ask one and finds that they can't unless they "join the free forum" They think, OK, type in a few blocks, pick a password and "VOILA" they ask their question. Someone answers, the "NOOBIE" is happy. Along comes "NOOBIE #2" same scenario, same question, same answer...... Along comes "NOOBIE #3" same scenario, same question BUT an "old timer" chooses to remind him/her that there's a search feature and "NOOBIE #3" feels he's been "scolded"

Another common "situation" is the noobie doesn't know enough about RV's to even know what to search for, so the search feature may as well not even be there as they'd never find what they are looking for because they don't know what to "call it"

I'm sure there are a number of other situations that occur, these are only the ones that come to mind at the moment.

Sure, NOOBIE's are welcome, Many of them (us) have valuable information to exchange and I've learned things from someone just entering the RV world just as I've learned from those with more experience.

I don't think of this as a "problem" but rather a "situation". I belong to forums from Tractors to Trailers (and a host of things on either side of those "T's" and in every one of those "other forums" I see the same comments made.... "Use the search feature, we've already discussed that, just go look for the answer, it's there hundreds of times" That comment is very easily interpreted as, "Go away and don't bother us, you're question isn't important to us"

Is that any way to welcome a "NOOBIE" ??? My answer is "no it's not." We are all in this together and who knows, the next time you go camping, one of those "NOOBIE's" may well be your next lot neighbor and turn out to be a great friend.
Well stated!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote