View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Jorme -
People who ask the question, "Can I tow this?", may be asking it for a variety of reasons. Some may be just starting out RVing and know little, if anything, about towing or RV's and are looking for answers from people who they think know more than they do. They really don't know where to start so they begin by asking on forums such as this.

Others rely on the advice and recommendations they get from forum members and do little, if any, research or "homework" to try to figure it out for themselves. Matching an RV with a tow vehicle takes time and effort. Some folks are willing to put in time and effort to become more knowledgeable so that they can make an informed decision. They work things out for themselves. Some others can't be bothered with all this work so they want the forum "experts" to tell them what to do.

And then we have those who are looking for confirmation from us to verify what they have already decided to do - regardless of the advice given to them by the members. They have this truck and, no matter what advice they ask for and are given, will go out and buy the RV that they have already picked out.

And then we have the group that "is pushing the limits"...... the ones that tell us that they are close to or just a bit over. These are often the ones who assure us that they won't go over 60, won't overload the RV, stay away from the hills, and so on. Start with something smaller you say? How novel! In today's world, "starting small" isn't in many peoples' vocabulary. But that's another rant.

I can understand the dilemna that people face when asking this question. First, they are looking at parting with a lot of money to buy an RV. Then we have people on the forum telling them that their truck is too small and you'll need to go out and spend several more thousands on a new and bigger truck! Already facing a large outlay of cash, many choose to ignore suggestions to get something heftier rather than spending any more money.

Not only that but also they are often given conflicting advice on forums. When asked, "Can I tow this?", they might hear.... "Sure, no problem. I have the same setup. You'll be just fine." OR they might read, "Not sure, we need more info." OR how about, "Maybe, but you'll be pushing the limits"..... OR "No way. You're way overloaded!" And all these different responses are for the same truck and same trailer!

I hear what you are saying and I wish there were a simple explanation and answer for the question that will be asked over and over and over again.....
'"CAN I TOW THIS?"