View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Vehicles burn for a lot of reasons. How do you know that the cause was the refrigerator?

This concern comes up all the time but all it takes is a little logic to defuse it. There are thousands or tens of thousands of RVs on the road every day and 90% (if this poll is correct, and it is probably close) have their refrigerators on. Add to that all the other possible sources of ignition (such as potentially a bad spark plug wire in any of the millions of vehicles that fuel up each day, plus who knows what else), and the fact that mushroom clouds at gas stations are exceedingly rare and it's pretty obvious that any danger is negligible.
I agree with smiller. In addition to that, I see far more people smoking or talking on their cellphone than I see refueling with an RV in tow, and seldom does that add to the "fireball" at any refueling station. I think the danger is there, as small as the potential may be, but to say that forgetting to turn off the referigerator is going to cause a fire is pretty bold. It may, under "ideal" circumstances cause a fire, and there's certainly no reason to "tempt fate" but with the number of automobiles that drive past a refueling operation with sparks flying under the hood, smokers, static conditions in dry winter areas, and the host of other possible hazards, refrigerators in RV's is only one of literally hundreds of possible sources of ignition. Removing all the others with the "same vigor" that's being urged here may make refueling much safer than just singlarily pointing fingers at RV's.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote