View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
The choice of registering our vehicles in MT wasn't just a tax fiddle. As non US residents, we need a US address to register the vehicles to and so we set up an LLC in MT to own the vehicles. This was primarily convenience as the companies that set these things up advertise on the net, but also we have some friends nearby who have done it this way so we went with that. The tax side of things was just an added incentive for us to do that.
My original question was probably badly worded.
We won't be relying on the dealer to do the registration. That is all done by our LLC agents in MT, who claim to be able to have the tags in our hands within a few days via courier delivery.
But what I was really asking is if a dealer tells me I have to pay TX sales tax or other state taxes in TX too, is he right or not?

As for being "tax cheats" we will be buying a lot of gas along our travels and paying a lot of fuel taxes on that, plus whatever supplies, camping fees, food etc we will buy will no doubt attract state sales taxes etc on all of that. And that is all I have to say about that.
You won't have to pay TX taxes and then MT. If it works for you like it does with us, they will give you a dealer tag good for about 2 months (now - used to be 30 days) along with the paperwork required to register it if they aren't going to. You will need to get the paperwork to whoever collects taxes and registers vehicles in the place you are going and have the tags on it before the temp tags expire.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote