View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 05:04 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It sounds to me like your brake controller isn't properly set up. The "default setting" is "ELECTRIC" and your disc brake trailer is "ELECTRIC OVER HYDRAULIC" so you'll need to change the setting in the truck's computer.

I'm not sure which model F350 you have so I can't give you the specific instructions on how to access and adjust your brake controller. The adjustment access is different for XL and XLT models and the "upper models" with a digital display. The process is in your owner's manual around page 292 or in that area.

You'll need to first adjust the brake type to "electric over hydraulic" and then you'll need to finish with the "normal brake control settings"....

Anyway, there are two different "brake control settings". One is the amplitude setting (1-10) and the other is the "gain" (ramp up time) which is (low/med/high).

It sounds like your brake control is set to "electric" and your "gain" is set too high and the brake initiation effort is locking up (or causing your brakes to grab) when you apply the brake pedal.
Ain't tech great! On an older F350 to adjust the electric trailer brake you set the controller to the max, go out and apply brakes and have your forehead hit the windshield. Turn down the controller one number and repeat. Keep doing this until your head no longer hits the windshield. Smart owners wear a motorcycle helmet when adjusting. My bruise will eventually fade, I guess.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote