Thread: Furnace Oddity
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 01:45 PM   #21
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Michigan View Post
SummitPond - thank you, sir. Setting the thermostat to auto solved the AC fan running simultaneously with the furnace. As a side note I'm curious why it would be designed that way.

Today I'll investigate the bedroom duct situation, starting with my inspection camera. I'm assuming I can pull the belly insulating pan down to access the ducts from outside. Am I close to accurate with that?

I appreciate the input, gentlemen. Please keep it coming in.

Scott and Ginny
I believe there are folks out there that take their fan off auto and put it on high so the A/C compressor isn't kicking on at the same time the fan. A "professional" told me this was a good practice although I don't do it. When we use the furnace, we leave it on auto, same as when running the A/C.

If your home A coil freezes up for some reason, it is a lot quicker to thaw it with the fan running which it won't on auto. Same as an RV A/C... it is possible to freeze up the coils up top if you run the A/C on too high a temp setting and the fan on LOW. I did this in my last trailer which was not ducted. A/C wasn't blowing cold so I looked up inside from underneath and it was a chunk of ice. I put some towels under the unit and defrosted it with the A/C off and the fan on high and never tried to keep the temp setting on its highest A/C setting (thought was to keep the trailer under 85F while parked at the house in its slot during a very hot summer). Not bright.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote