Thread: Electric Trucks
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

At this point in the development I can only see a few uses for all electric propulsion. For inter city use where the vehicle spends more time stopped than going. Short commute to work or shopping/doctor's office. Place to recharge at home (either garage or assigned parking with charger.

For trucks pretty much the same circumstance. Inter city or urban delivery trucks where they get used a relatively short distance and have a long "down time" for recharging.

There is no arguing that electric traction motors provide the best torgue and control of the torgue as evidenced in their use in locomotives, large scale mining machines, cranes, ship propulsion, etc. It's getting sufficient power to those drive motors that limits the practicality. Batteries just aren't there yet, at least not in a cost effective way. For now, and the "near future" fossil fuels are the practical means as far as weight to power, distribution infrastructure, and yes less pollution considering current manufacturing and disposal availability of the batteries.

I have no doubts that "one day" they will get there, just don't have a lot of faith it will be in my lifetime. IMHO the current "feel good" approach to going all electric is folly as the manufacturing and disposal of the batteries is a dirty business. The power grid is not capable of a huge demand for electricity that all electric vehicles in great numbers would impose. Check it out if you think this isn't true. Find out when the last license was issued for ANY power generating plant was issued. I don't think wind or solar is at this point the answer either as the numbers just don't prove it to be economical.
JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote