Thread: Ram 1500
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 07:54 PM   #15
bobbecky

Prior to upgrading to a 3/4 ton diesel, we towed a 25 ft fifth wheel on a short trip with a 2005 GMC 1500 with a 5.3 gas engine and I am not real sure what the rear end ratio was, but it towed OK, but all we got was about the 9/10 mph, and that varied on hills or flats. Later on, was talking to a cousin who was an automotive instructor at a local college and he advised me that the rear ends on half ton trucks can not handle excessive towing with large loads like these trailers. He said the gears are not designed to handle the heat, and that extra attention to maintenance of the rear ends is needed, like much more frequent lube changes. He also said the bearings on the axles are very small compared to heavier trucks, so be prepared to check them often too. I would also think brakes and everything else needs to be maintained more frequently on the lighter trucks when used for towing larger trailers on a regular basis. Just because the numbers may just make it work, it still is a lot of load for a half ton truck.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote