View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 07:55 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like the awning rail probably got pulled away from the trailer sidewall and water leaked into the wall in that area. Getting Keystone to "admit a problem" may be difficult. It really depends on how your dealership documents and reports the issue to Keystone. The leak CAN BE (depends on how it's reported) a manufacturing defect/fault or it could be owner error.

How?? you ask??? First, if the screws were installed and not properly sealed, if screws are missing (never installed) if there is no putty tape behind the awning rail, etc, then how those conditions are reported will make a difference.

On the other hand, if the awning rail appears to have been properly installed, there's the potential (likely no way to prove) that the awning was subjected to high winds or other "mis-use" that caused the rail assembly to fail and leak.

Is there any documentation of any "owner or dealer inspections" of the sealant on the roof/sidewalls ? Have there been any inspections ?? Can you prove that you never subjected the awning to heavy winds/rough travel?

I'm certainly NOT blaming you for anything, but those are some of the issues/questions that Keystone is going to require the dealership to answer before they even consider accepting a warranty repair.

So, if the dealership just sends in a report, "Sidewall FILON delaminated under the awning rail" I'd almost guarantee Keystone will disapprove repair. It's in your interest to talk to the dealership, get them to report specifically what happened, what the condition is and how it happened. Otherwise, I'd strongly suspect you're on the hook for payment of repairs.

GOOD LUCK!!!! It's going to depend on what your dealership reports to Keystone.

ADDED: As for the 1/16" gap, the awning rail is almost always 2 pieces on any awning over 16' long, so there will always be a gap on long awnings. There is putty tape behind the gap, so theoretically it can't leak into the mounting screw holes unless there is a void in the putty tape, they back out and leak around the threads or the awning rail is pulled away from the trailer wall.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote