View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 06:13 AM   #64
C.LeeNick

Those signs are excellent!

As much as I like setting up in RV parks with hookups and amenities, my wife and I love dry camping in the boonies much better.

Some of the worst experiences we've had camping have been at campgrounds. Like the time we were tent camping a week in southern Nevada...We spent one night in a developed BLM campground just below Eagle Valley Reservoir in Nevada. A pretty popular fishing spot. We had been camping many nights in the boonies just setting up anywhere we ended up at the end of the day, but finding this little gem of a campground before dark, with covered tables, level spots, and restrooms, was a bonus. We had the entire campground to ourselves when we got there, and there were spaces along two sides of a little ravine, maybe 15 of them or so, so there was plenty of room for everyone who might show up later to spread out and not be on top of each other.

Wouldn't you know it, around midnight a fellow and his young son pull into the campground with their aluminum boat and set up RIGHT next to us. Only two sites occupied in the whole place. The aluminum boat was no more than 15-20 feet from our tent. And then the fellow proceeds to set up his boat for fishing later than morn...he pulls out a trolling motor and puts it on the boat, gets all his gear out of the truck and puts it all in the boat, opening boxes and pulling stuff out, putting tackle boxes and stuff in the boat, then re-arranges it all. As anyone here will know, banging around in that aluminum boat for an hour and half in the middle of the night when there isn't a another sound was VERY annoying. He might as well have been ringing the Liberty Bell right next to our tent. All through it, his young son was quiet as a church mouse, but the dude himself just seemed oblivious to all the racket he was making. Yes, I was grumpy! It was all I could do to not go out there and raise hades. I told my wife: "Watch, the guy will probably be pulling out before sunup to head to the lake." Sure enough, just a few hours later, before sunrise, he fires up his truck, 20 feet from the tent, and starts revving the engine to warm it up, and then heads out.

The only thing he left at his campsite when he left was his lantern, cooler, and some folding chairs. We broke camp and pulled out later than morning, never seeing the guy again, and I very much wanted to toss all his gear into the ravine behind his campsite. But as much as I wanted to, I just laughed it off and chalked it up to experience. We didn't stay at another campground that trip, just headed back into the boonies for a couple more nights.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote