View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #16
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Maybe the high end RVs have the "whisper quiet" ACs but the Cougar level ones we have owned and been in all have noisy ACs.
As for comfortable seating any booth dinette is uncomfortable. The Cougar 5er we had came with free standing table and the chairs were the same as in our house, so OK.YMMV

Sitting on a booth dinette seat is akin to a poorly designed motorcycle seat. The tailbone starts screaming first then the poorly supported thighs. The seat will slip out in an annoying fashion. We put non-skid under the seats to help with that issue and when we were camping in Camp Wood, went into the Dollar General and I found what is probably a boat cushion EXACTLY the right size to cover my entire dinette seat and it helps a lot. I have considered yanking the current cushion foam out (seat backs ain't the problem) and putting in some top notch foam.

As far as A/C quiet; this ain't gonna happen in any RV I have ever owned or been in. Ducted are more quiet then non-ducted and when you use the "Quick Cool" mode (in a ducted system) by shutting off flow to the A/C registers, it is just as noisy as a non-ducted. From everything I have read, the high end units using "whisper quiet" A/C systems are not all that quiet either. You get used to it. Turn that TV volume up to max is usually required if the A/C is running.

As far as which truck? Get as much truck as the pocket can stand. The 1/2 ton thing is a marketing euphemism BS. The 1/2 ton towable ain't. Reserve towing capacity is a blessing. If you get close to the limits of a truck, then the towing will not be fun. A lot of folks will expound on the virtues of a BIG diesel but a gas truck suits me more because I only use my old 250 for towing and the maintenance and fuel are not big factors in my budget. An old 96 7.3 diesel around here can go for 5 times more than an old 7.5 gas hog and my gas hog can drag my little 5ver anywhere. My fiver would be considered a 1/2 ton towable these days I suppose. Good luck and have your missus read the diesel up-selling in this thread and maybe she will authorize a purchase hehe
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote