View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 07:22 AM   #9
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikz86ta View Post
Unfortunately emissions and the horrible waste they cause adversely affects the MPG.
Waste? Interesting. I can't argue that if emissions were dropped that we couldn't find improvements in MPG and efficiency. I'm not sure that it's necessarily worth the "rolling coal" impact.

That being said, the entire reason that we have 600+ hp Corvettes that can get 24 mpg on the highway is that vehicle manufacturers have been under increasing pressure for years to bring up power, emissions, and economy. What has really been impacted is the entry cost to the wallet.

Quote:
As in, to keep the environment clean u have a DPF that goes into Regen mode by dumping excess Diesel fuel. Waste money and reduces our MPG.
True. It does burn more diesel to get the temperatures needed to burn off diesel by-products. That being said, perhaps a MPG hit is worth it if today's diesel engine puts off, say 500% less emissions than a truck of 10 years ago at a lower power rating?

I own a VW Diesel (one of the "cheating" cars). I did the calculation of what it's "actual" output of emissions was based on data from the guys that discovered that VW was cheating. That little 2.0L diesel, which puts down 150hp/240 ft/lbs also pollutes more than my 6.7L 1-ton 350hp/800ft/lbs. There should probably be a happy medium somewhere..

That is, unless you don't believe emissions have any long term environmental impact.

Quote:
The DEF is also a wallet killer. And I'm sure that Urea is not very safe on its own.

I don't like having to fill yet "another" fluid either, but it's hardly a wallet killer. The real expensive is adding these systems to the cost of our vehicles.

Look - I remember being younger. I had a 5.0L Ford "High Output" Mustang. You know, the 205 (or 225) hp version. I removed the catalytic converter - well, actually hollowed it out, for more power and efficiency.. I couldn't feel a difference, no mpg difference, maybe it got another 5hp or so. But I could smell a difference at every stoplight. And when it finally did go in for emissions tests years later, it was 10x over "allowed" limits for hydrocarbons. I was polluting as much as 10 non-modified mustangs. I add high flow catalytic converters to all my "old" cars now instead of mufflers..

Quote:
A deleted truck gets better MPG
That's true.

Quote:
Basically diesel is like gas was in the 80/90's. Trying desperately to meet tight emissions laws, so they had poorly conceived 'fixes'to abide by the tail sniffers and thus a engine like the mighty small block 350 was reduced to under 250HP in the hi-po sports car trimmings.
I'd say 70s, 80s, and 90s. I'd also point out that in around 1993, V8s started to break into 300hp again, fully emissions compliant, naturally aspirated. In the 2000s, we saw 400hp. My 2004 Corvette was 405 HP. The next generation 'vette was 505 hp - without a turbo or supercharger... Emissions legal, great MPG... Now everything is 400-500hp, with Chevy and Dodge putting out supercharged cars in the 700-800hp range. Factory vehicles.. I'm a car guy, but darn, 600hp is way more than enough...

Why? Forced innovation.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote