Thread: Slide Out Issue
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCordill View Post
Just to let everyone know, my slide works! Corrosion is not a problem. I just want to know how to over ride it if I ever have to.
I think what jgavin was describing was bypassing one of the two auto-reset DC circuit breakers on the tongue of a travel trailer (or in the front compartment of most fifth wheel trailers). Those breakers have a history of corrosion that causes them to fail. Typically when they fail, they either stop all electrical flow, stop functioning all together or become "weak" and open at less than the rated amperage. "Bypassing" a DC circuit breaker can be as simple as clipping a wire across the two terminals, jumpering it with alligator clips or wrapping a heavy wire around the two terminals.

Bypassing a circuit breaker is a "last ditch effort" similar to using a penny under an old fashioned screw in fuse or inserting a nail in a cartridge fuse holder. It is not a "recommended practice" to bypass any circuit breaker, although in an emergency situation, it would be better than "walking home"..... (provided you have some indication that it is the problem)

Bypassing a circuit breaker can lead to extensive electrical system damage, a fire or destruction of the protected components, so use the practice carefully and don't do it if you're unsure of what you're doing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote