View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #34
Freeheel4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
We've been fulltime for 10 years & after driving over the river & through the woods in that time I can't imagine doing it in a gasser, but to each their own.
One argument everyone, that doesn't own a diesel, keeps bringing up is increased maintenance, so far after using a diesel as a daily driver for the last 13 years I've yet to notice that increase. Oil changes in 10-12 k where the gasser is 3-5k, mine holds 10 quarts, the gasser holds 5-7, all the same lubrication points, tire rotations, air filter, all of which are done on both. If referring to DEF, 2.5 gallons in 3-3.5k @ about $12 for the jug is less than half a cent per mile.
Not trying to sell diesels, but they are designed/necessary if pulling a large trailer, just my .02 cents.
Not to keep this thread off topic, but here goes
I would agree that in the world of consumable standard maintenance items you are spot on. Oil, DEF, fuel, etc On the off chance you experience parts failures though they are typically much more than their gas counterparts. Fuel injection pumps, injectors, high pressure oil pumps, and even parts that you can expect like the occasional starter are more $. Yes they are supposed to run forever but getting unlucky can sure add up quick. Just ask the guys with "bullet proofed" 6.0L Powerstrokes.