View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 08:11 AM   #13
MXRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djac13 View Post
Thanks @mxracer

Zamp are expensive panels, does anyone have some? Or what brand does everyone have and like?
I added the Zamp OTG upgrade kit for my roof that contained one 175 watt panel from the factory. After installing that one and learning a bit more about solar panels in general, I bought two more Renogy panels at half the cost of the Zamps. The Zamp panels are made in Bend, OR, so I didn't mind the additional cost for buying American. But when I wanted more, $500+ each was getting really expensive.

What I saved by getting the two Renogy panels allowed me to nearly pay in full for a LiFePo battery. And the Renogy panels appear to be performing as good as the two Zamp panels. Just remember that you will be buying MC4 to SAE connectors and the polarity reverse connectors to add non-Zamp panels (if you are installing them on the roof and going through the Zamp roof port.)

Of course, if you plug into the port on the side of the trailer that goes straight to the battery, just buy a portable solar kit that contains a charge controller. Renogy and others make some decent kits. As you can see in the pic, my factory Zamp charge controller and wiring was on the driver's side of the pass thru. I dropped in a Victron MPPT charge controller and added a Xantrex remote panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210502_091407397.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	33314  
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Victron 100/50 MPPT charge controller
Tow vehicle: 2018 Ford F250 CCSB, 6.2 gas 4x4
MXRacer is offline   Reply With Quote