View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #16
craftguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
Just bought a new 2017 Cougar Xlite RKS.
Because my Tow Vehicle is a TitanXD, 6.5' bed, Cummins, with a factory GooseNeck hitch, the salesman recommended just putting the Reese GooseBox in, which I like the idea of. He said it would work for a 90 degree turn, and we got it in writing that it would work.
Still stressing that it might not work, and have no plan B yet.

I had just assumed I would use the Andersen Ultimate Hitch, which I liked, as I use my bed for carrying stuff, and do not want a heavy fifth wheel hitch back there that I can't remove by myself
The Gooseneck seems even better.
Has anyone used a Reese Goosebox, with a newer Xlite, and a 6.5 foot bed?
How did that work out?
Any Clearance issues?

Jerry, we bought the Nissan Titan 2016 Cummins Diesel, because we had a Chevy Silverado, and were pulling a SGS 28 fifth wheel. The towing capacity was ok on the Chevy, it just wasn't as great as we wanted. Unknown to us, when we bought it, the fifth wheel hitch would not fit. At the time no one made one, had adapters for, etc. It was early in the model year. Our only option, and still be within the "warranty of Lippert" for the frame, was to use the Reese Goosebox. I will tell you it's heavy. Taking the fifth wheel off the wing was not that hard at all, but needed a couple hefty friends help us get and hold the goose box in place, while I got the bolts in. Once that task was done it has been a breeze. I did add the chain set to it and rarely remove the goose ball and anchors from the bed. The turning on this scared me the first time or two, but have had no issues. The only negative thing I have on the goose box is the air bag system seems to not hold air for very long, but hold enough to get us where we want to go for the day to go camping. On longer trips I would have to check it and fill with my portable air comp. We talked about exchanging the valve on it but just have not. Hope this helps. Also it pulls like a dream, even on pretty steep hills.
Jeff
craftguy is offline   Reply With Quote