View Single Post
Old 05-22-2017, 07:05 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

To the OP,

I see that you're in South Louisiana with 100% humidity most of the year. The problem you're having affects every small engine owner, regardless of the location of the engine. It's Ethanol supplementation of the fuel. The Ethanol attracts water, the water settles to the bottom of the fuel tank and the fuel pickup draws it into your engine. The same happens with water/sludge in the carburetor bowl. Using "RED" Stabil will help prevent separation of the water/ethanol for about 60 days. Using "GRAY" Stabil will extend the time before separation for about 6 months.

REMEMBER !!!!! Once the fuel is separated, Stabil will NOT correct the problem. So, treat fuel when it's fresh, not when you get ready to store your RV, lawn mower, generator or ?????

An alternative solution is to simply not use "ethanol enriched fuel". Many areas call "100% gas" by different names. Here it's called "recreational fuel", in some areas it's called "marine fuel" and in other's it's simply called "premium, ethanol free fuel". Search marinas and gas stations around the area, I'm sure you can find gas that's "Ethanol free". I'd suggest you use that, even though it's a bit more expensive, for all your small engine equipment. Since I started using "recreational gas" in everything, I've had no carb failures in any equipment. That goes for tillers, lawn mowers, generators, chain saws, string trimmers, etc. Whether it's a 4 cycle or a 2 cycle engine, I've had no problems in over 10 years with any small engine damage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote