View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=KSH;318100]I made sure he wasnt using the zerk, well i asked anyway. He said that's a bad way to grease them and they take them out to inspect them and grease them.

Is he supposed to adjust or do something to the brakes when he did the bearings?[/QUOTE]

I think that would depend on what he had to do to get the drum off and what your instructions were. If he had to loosen the shoes to pull it off then he should retighten/adjust the brakes. That said, it doesn't mean he did, or knew how to. Took mine in to have all the bearings pulled and repacked by their "expert" axle/bearing guy. I asked, unfortunately, that they just adjust the brakes while they had it up in the air. Mistake. After receiving the trailer back, the first time I hit the brakes it was obvious there were no trailer brakes. I drove back to the facility and found the guy that did it (I had already gone down to check him out on how he was going to "pack" and check the bearings). I asked him exactly how he adjusted the brakes....he said "they" said to just turn the little wheel in the hole. I said the "star" wheel? He said I guess. I asked which way did you turn it, how did you know it was tight? "I just turned the wheel several clicks and figured that would get it"??? Which way???? Didn't know. I told him how you adjust brake shoes, went home and adjusted them myself (after directing my happy little self at the owner before leaving). BTW, he had just loosened them all so they weren't even touching the drum. Long story to say, in this case, as in anything else, "trust but verify".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote