View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 07:05 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBO Cookie Monster View Post
Coming from someone who is more than likely overloaded on their own truck. Lets see, payload on yours is what 2100lbs? Whats the pinweight of the 27’ fifth you are hauling around? Have you run it over the scales?
Yes I have "run it across the scales" and I do that every year at the start of the camping season. I'm close (as I've stated in MULTIPLE threads on this forum) and I have to watch my trailer weight carefully and I also have to watch anything/everything I put in the truck. I have NO problems "pulling" the trailer, and with either the boat or the slingshot behind the Cougar, I "lessen the pin weight" that's seen on the truck.

I've long advocated NOT being "caught in the trap of too close" as well as I've advocated NOT towing overweight.... For me, (thanks for asking or trying to justify your issue by my example) I'm TOO CLOSE for my own comfort and every trip we take, I have to manage the load carefully.

My advice (based on my own truck payload) is to suggest to others that are in a position to avoid this hassle is to buy more truck than I have because it's a "freaking hassle" every trip... If you'd like to join the "freaking hassle group" by all means, jump in, the water's not comfortable, if you're wanting to "learn from my mistakes" then buy a bigger truck....

Free world, you're free to do what makes your "fancy tickle"...

ADDED: For the record, the 255SRL is roughly the same "shipping weight" as my trailer but the "empty pin weight" is 255 pounds heavier. If it's "too heavy" for a 3/4 ton truck, it's assuredly "too heavy" for a semi-floating rear axle on a half ton truck. But, since you're an engineer, you already know (and have considered) all that in your extensive research...

And again, as posted by numerous members (and experienced by me) I've NEVER seen the "shipping weight" on any CAT scale that I've weighed my trailer. EVERY weight, even the first one with none of our camping equipment or personal items was SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than the "shipping weight and empty pin weight"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote