View Single Post
Old 10-24-2019, 10:23 PM   #31
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It's been my experience that most "crash worthiness testing" is done by "third party government or insurance industry studies" and, if the results are "5 stars" they are used on the first page of the truck manufacturer's brochure. If they are ""1 or 2 stars" they're included in the tiny print under the "Your Local Dealer" address on the back of the last page.... As for "weight capacity" I've NEVER seen a truck brochure (or build sheet) that includes any specific truck (optioned as ordered by a consumer). It's ALWAYS the "base model vehicle" that's been stripped of all safety equipment normally required for sale and operation on the street. In other words, the "base model" with no rear bumper (optional equipment on all trucks until 1988) and no spare tire (wheel only/no tire until 1976) and NO optional equipment to "attain the best advertising weights for the consumer" although the consumer can't buy or operate that model of truck the way it was tested for "advertising purposes".....

In other words, most "advertised capacities and capabilities" are "unicorns disguised as features"... Unicorns you'll never see on any street model tow vehicle.....

ADDED: I suppose my point in all this is that if you're going to go "within 1%" on any vehicle manufactured by an auto company that's competing with 5 other auto companies for your dollar (with limited regulation and minimal testing) you're very likely to "get it wrong".... On the other hand, if you're conservatively staying 15% below the maximums, you're probably "in the safe zone", but even that's no guarantee that the manufacturer got it right or even close enough for horse shoes or hand grenades....
Coming from someone who is more than likely overloaded on their own truck. Lets see, payload on yours is what 2100lbs? Whats the pinweight of the 27’ fifth you are hauling around? Have you run it over the scales?
FBO Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote