View Single Post
Old 10-24-2019, 10:06 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
" I fly for a living, and often load that thing up to 1% below max ramp weight (which is higher than my takeoff weight). I certainly am not worried about taking a truck and trailer below their designated limits."

Common sense would dictate that what applies to a "multi-million dollar machine" may not apply to sub $100K machine.
Air craft - many, many thousands of hours with many, many, engineers of many disciplines testing to standards that are mandated by the FAA. This results in precise wt and balance tables based on center of gravity etc., performance tables based on temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, etc.
Pick up truck - Many engineers to ensure "crash worthiness" and that the drive line can handle X amount of weight. Designers to make sure they can SELL it, and wordsmiths to present the package.
I'm not aware of ANY auto manufacturer (and yes, 1/2 trucks are built by auto manufactures), or ANY RV trailer manufactures that publish beyond max axle weight or max tongue weight.

The above information isn't provided for the ENGINEER in the room as he or she SHOULD know this. It's for those reader's that aren't ENGINEERS.
It's been my experience that most "crash worthiness testing" is done by "third party government or insurance industry studies" and, if the results are "5 stars" they are used on the first page of the truck manufacturer's brochure. If they are ""1 or 2 stars" they're included in the tiny print under the "Your Local Dealer" address on the back of the last page.... As for "weight capacity" I've NEVER seen a truck brochure (or build sheet) that includes any specific truck (optioned as ordered by a consumer). It's ALWAYS the "base model vehicle" that's been stripped of all safety equipment normally required for sale and operation on the street. In other words, the "base model" with no rear bumper (optional equipment on all trucks until 1988) and no spare tire (wheel only/no tire until 1976) and NO optional equipment to "attain the best advertising weights for the consumer" although the consumer can't buy or operate that model of truck the way it was tested for "advertising purposes".....

In other words, most "advertised capacities and capabilities" are "unicorns disguised as features"... Unicorns you'll never see on any street model tow vehicle.....

ADDED: I suppose my point in all this is that if you're going to go "within 1%" on any vehicle manufactured by an auto company that's competing with 5 other auto companies for your dollar (with limited regulation and minimal testing) you're very likely to "get it wrong".... On the other hand, if you're conservatively staying 15% below the maximums, you're probably "in the safe zone", but even that's no guarantee that the manufacturer got it right or even close enough for horse shoes or hand grenades....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote