View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 04:56 AM   #21
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
NO, It's NOT the only number you have when shopping for an RV.

You can drink the Kool-Aid and pretend that the advertised "shipping weight" is something you'll see on a dealer's lot or you can ignore what you say "is the only number I have when shopping RV's" and use the "rest of the numbers provided by every RV manufacturer.

It's much more relevant to use the trailer GVW (not some fantasy "shipping weight") Then, statistically, the pin weight will be somewhere between 20-25% of that GVW.

Using empty weights to determine if "it will work" is like pretending that flapping your arms will make you lighter when you're standing on a scale.... FANTASY.....

And, for the record: I also cringe when I see an F250 towing a 15,000 pound fifth wheel. Doesn't matter if it's a diesel or gas powered 3/4 ton, it's overloaded with that trailer in tow (assuming they aren't using "shipping weight")....

The purpose of my post was not to engage in a "weight/overloaded truck/too heavy of a trailer" debate, rather to give you some "first hand experience that I had with an F150 and a "super light" 25' fifth wheel that the dealer told me was good to go and the factory advertised it as a 1120 pound pin weight.... PURE FANTASY....

Use my experience or not, that's entirely up to you. But, from your follow-on post, it's clear to anyone reading that "the advertised shipping weight is the only information that you have to use"....
I come at it with an engineering background. I also have towing experience, just not a camper. But I have to ask, what do you know that the Ford engineers didn’t? You’re right, the empty pin weight are not the only numbers, I also have pictures from each trailer I am looking at of the weight sticker on the front right of the trailer. The max gross is significant, but coming in at a minimum 1200 to 2000 lbs under that number. I also feel that in these light weight “half ton units” that the 20 to 25% number is off, they seem to put the wheels further forward. The actual weight threads bear this out, with numbers that I stated.
As an example, the trailer I looked at had an empty weight weight 7080 lbs and gvw of 10,000. Ok, I get 60 lbs of propane, and 100lbs of battery. Add in another 150 for inverter, a few hundred watts of solar, and associated wiring. (Going BIG lithium). Now are you going to tell me I am going to stick 2500 lbs in a 25’ trailer? I would like to know how, I bet I have to come up with some molds to pour lead?
Again, if the numbers fit, why not? I fly for a living, and often load that thing up to 1% below max ramp weight (which is higher than my takeoff weight). I certainly am not worried about taking a truck and trailer below their designated limits.
Also, let’s look at how much a 1/2 ton, ( and specifically a heavy duty half ton) have evolved over the years. Back in 96, my half ton would more than equal many of the 1 tons on the market. My brakes are significantly bigger and more capable, the 3.5 ecoboost has MUCH more power and torque than the diesels from then, and the gas engines were laughable in comparison, and the payload? Greater. The math works, the preconceived notions.... Not so much. https://youtu.be/Qnu6cITBQ7w
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E29658FB-26EB-4DD5-A164-2807494A9F4A.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	24105   Click image for larger version

Name:	2766EDDB-6CB7-4214-AE76-3068B119D621.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	24106  
FBO Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote