View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deer30084 View Post
Update: I got gutsy and decided to do things myself. First I took the cover off the electrical unit and looked at the "brushes." They looked good; no grooves or wear evident to me. In the lifetime of the generator, I had not used it much for power. I was pretty much stored and cranked up a few times over the years. Yes, the gas had been changed from time to time. Then I gave it a new spark plug, air filter and oil. Those had been changed a couple times over the years also. Still wouldn't power the RV A/C.

Next, I ordered a carburetor for $15 and some change from Amazon and put it on myself. It works! It powered my RV A/C and didn't even hiccup! Then I opened up the old carburetor just for curiosity and found yellow gunk inside. Not much, but it probably didn't need much to bog the unit down.

As far as sea level goes, I live about 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico.

Hopefully this info helps someone else having the same generator problem.
I have a generator (Champion) and haven't had much call to look at the carburetor but most small engines have the "jet" as an integral part of the hex "bolt" that fits into the bottom of the bowl and holds the bowl on. If you take the old bowl off and clean the holes in the "bolt" that holds the bowl, that will fix the carburetor problem as there is little else that can go wrong with one of those type carburetors. I use welding small, serrated wires to push through those holes and carb cleaner. (I own a motorcycle carb business). The yellow stuff is congealed gas goo as the corn gas we use today collects moisture and when it dries a bit, the gas turns into goo. Doesn't happen if you use gas without the corn stuff in your small engines that are only operated once in awhile.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote