View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

First order of business is to check the driver's door pillar for the "Tire and Loading Information" sticker (yellow, white and red). This will have a section that reads: The Combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed xxx kg or x,xxx lbs. This will tell you the maximum weight of all the people, pets, stuff in the bed of the truck, weight of the weight distribution hitch, and tongue weight of the trailer (don't go by published tongue weight from the factory, since it doesn't include batteries, full propane tanks, and any trailer cargo in front of the trailer axles). Add all those up, add another 15-20% of the total to allow for leeway and if that number is above the maximum cargo capacity on the door pillar sticker, it's a no-go situation.

Here is a quick example: Two adults and two kids, plus miscellaneous passenger cabin items 550 lbs. Bikes, firewood, camp chairs, small generator, miscellaneous bed cargo 250 lbs. Weight distribution hitch 100 lbs. Dry tongue weight of camper 580 lbs. One 27 series battery 50 lbs. Two 20 lb propane tanks full 76 lbs. Fresh water tank 1/4 full 90 lbs. Miscellaneous camper cargo forward of the trailer axles 250 lbs. That gives you a realistic cargo weight of 1,946 lbs. Then add 15% as a safety factor 292 lbs and your truck cargo capacity will need to be at least 2,238 lbs. (I am guessing that sticker will say somewhere around 1,800 lbs.)

If that isn't enough to deter you, we would then have to talk to you about truck axle ratios, and manufacturer towing guides which will take into consideration the engine, transmission, axle ratio, and cargo capacity of the truck, plus give you additional information on frontal area resistance, etc.

Just as a note to consider; I have a 2015 F150 with a 3.5L Ecoboost (twin turbo), and a towing capacity of nearly 12,000 lbs. I am towing a trailer of similar size and weight as the one you are considering. For my situation, it is a perfect balance of truck vs. trailer, but I wouldn't feel comfortable or safe with any less of a truck or any more of a trailer.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote