View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #7
Pmedic4

Smile Route 66 roads

There are quite a few sections of the old Route 66 in central Illinois where we live. Seriously, some of it would be difficult to travel with a RV, let alone just drive on at this point in time. The sections are very dis-jointed, and not really much of a way to get somewhere easily, and depending on which sections you want to explore, as some are listed from '26 to '30, some '30 to '40, and then '40 to '77. The newer sections follow along current Interstate 55, while the older '26 to '40 of it is old narrow 16' wide roadway and in bad repair, and there isn't any real incentive to maintain it as it's fallen to the local townships as it's not interstate or even state highway level roadway.

I understand the significance and romance of the original old Route 66. I definitely not downplaying that aspect, but perhaps because I drive on some of these roads, which are now just farm roads or Interstate 55, so it doesn't mean much in my context. Really, the older sections, while in poor repair, lost in the middle of nowhere seem more special, as it represents the real change from dirt roads to concrete highways to improve travel across the US.

A very interesting place to visit is the old Cozy Dog restaurant in Springfield Illinois. The original Waldmire family still owns and operates the restaurant, and in itself is quite a museum. I've been going there since I was a kid, well over 50 years and it really does pay homage to Route 66.

If anyone is interested, I'll be glad to take you, or show you where it is to enjoy the ambiance.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote