View Single Post
Old 10-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
I think the method you are describing would get old real fast. Building the driveway is more expensive now but in the long run you will appreciate the convenience.
Is the Ram not a 4x4? No need for chains if it is.

I agree with Joe. For a one time thing that might be OK but if that is the plan for every time you use the trailer it will be extremely annoying IMO. Can a dump truck get into that 50' that is problematic? We have the gravel road to our house in the mountains re-graveled periodically and it's not too expensive to have them come in and just drop/spread it with the truck - I usually like to get about 4" down. The larger gravel (1" +) just moves around and won't pack but the smaller gravel with chat in it compacts and gets hard. I don't know what a dirt/gravel contractor would charge in your area but I think (been a while and poor memory) we pay about $300 a truck load. They just drive up, start at one end and slowly open/lift the bed. Wider areas require a 2nd pass. If needed, we spread/level with rakes. I would far, far rather do that than place/remove snow chains for a small muddy area. Plus, after a few rounds through the mud spinning those chains they will have to come out and repair the holes/ruts with something anyway. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote