View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Odd you say that, we wintered in Fla 2 years & had enough bugs inside everywhere to last a lifetime, no windows open, no pets, they just suddenly filled the house, gnats, mosquitos, & some little black bug you could barely see that felt like it bit to bone. That's one of the reasons we don't do Fla anymore, too many bugs, too much moldy smell, everything outside is wet every morning & roof of the rv would turn black in about a week.But there are millions that love it there every winter, don't think they'll miss the 2 of us.

I don't know where you went but we stay in the panhandle. As far as the other stuff; lots of the RVs that are long term FL patrons do get the black on the roofs after an extended period. We have ours cleaned before leaving and cleaned upon return. It doesn't get black but it does turn sort of gray but it comes off easily. We don't have the moldy spell except when looking at vacant houses when my daughter was looking for a new home. There is moisture a lot, either coming down or in the air and we love it. Coming from a place with very little moisture we like the feel and smell of it. The only bugs we find as a real nuisance are the no seeums. They can make sitting outside miserable when they are hanging around in small clouds. They may be the little black insects that bit you. Even then, we don't get them in the RV but we don't leave the door open either.

I think where you are is a big factor in what kind of bugs you experience along with the time of year. We were in the Everglades and it was just terrible. Where we stay is about 100 yds. from the bay so we usually have a bit of a breeze (but not anything like a "breeze" in W TX). That is probably better than staying in marshy areas.

Like you, we will probably be heading elsewhere beginning next year. After 7 years of spending the winter there and the granddaughters now heading to college with other interests other than "grandma and grandpa", we think we will set our sights on traveling through the summer and shoulder seasons and winter in W TX.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote