View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 02:05 PM   #23
bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_majestic View Post
I’m trying to figure this out and I’m looking for opinions, I have a 2012 Hideout towed with a 2017 F-250 Diesel.

I need to see if there’s a way I can take my motorcycle with us on trips, the back of my truck is full with an ATV, but I want to try and take both. Has anyone ever had a receiver installed on the back of a TT that will be able to support 400lbs. plus? I know a sewer cover receiver is a no go and I’ve read about frames cracking and twisting with a receiver fabricated to the back..

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated; this has been driving me nuts.
To the OP. I am not a mechanical engineer but in the last 50 years I have built lots of stuff. Very few if any trailer bumpers are stout enough for much added weight. On many I don't even trust carrying a spare tire on it. But building a new bumper or beefing up the stock unit is very doable. The frame is okay for the weight, but the thin sheet metal bumper and the way it's tied in isn't.
All that said you can build or beef up the bumper to add a motorcycle rack back there. Only issues I'd have with it is the weight distribution. I'd guess you could move stuff inside the trailer forward to help out.
bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote