View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 04:21 AM   #7
xrated

I upgraded my previous truck (2011 F250) with HIDs and I've done the same thing with my new one (2016 Crew Cab Dually). They are a world of difference between OEM and HID. NOW.......having said that, many folks do the same thing but the difference between most of them and what I do is to take the time, as much time as needed, to adjust the headlight housing so that the lights are in the same position as the OEM lights were. This is a very important...let's say mandatory step in the installation process. It serves a couple of important purposes.
1. It puts your headlight beams exactly where they should be for your own visibility.
2. It keeps your headlights from blinding oncoming driver's from a bad adjustment.
3. It keeps your headlights from blinding driver's in front of you that you are approaching.

Technically, if I'm not mistaken, it is against the law to install HIDs in any vehicle that didn't come with them, but if you install them in a vehicle and take all the proper installation steps, they will not draw any attention, either from others drivers or from law enforcement. In the past seven years of driving with HID s on both truck's, I've probably had less than 4 or 5 times that someone has flipped their brights on at me. If done correctly, they can certainly increase your visibility while driving. If done incorrectly, you will be setting a LOT of people flashing their brights at you.

As far as price and color temperature goes, if you buy HIDs make sure to buy a well known brand with with a reputation for quality control and compliance with beam pattern. Also, of all the choices for color temperature ratings, The Kelvin temperature rating should be in the 3800 - 3900K range for the color that most matches natural sunlight. The higher the Kelvin number, the more blue they appear-and the resultant loss of light. To me, the only purpose for switching to HIDs is FUNCTIONALITY....not bling or trying to look cool.

The brand that I have used in the two truck's I've owned, my Honda Civic, and my wife's previous car is Digital brand....and they have been outstanding in every case. RetrosolutionsLLC.com is where I've purchased them over the years.....and the disclaimer......I have NO interest or association with them, other than being a satisfied repeat customer.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote