View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 01:30 PM   #38
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
Agreed, my "simple" definition of slippery would be the opposite of grip. Grip is when the exhaust brake is not strong enough to stop the drive axle from turning, slippery is when the exhaust brake IS strong enough to stop the drive axle from turning. Rain alone would probably not be slippery. I am just advising to use caution. What if there were an oily spot in the road that was also wet? Additionally your rig is always the same rig with the same weight or down pressure on the rear wheels. For me the down pressure on the drives can vary by 10,000 lbs. A set of empties on a rainy road would not be the ideal conditions to use an exhaust brake. All that said, I do use the exhaust brake in the rain sometimes, not saying I dont. I'm just warning people that an exhaust brake is not the easy answer to every towing situation.
And that is enough info now for folks to decide for themselves as to whether they choose to use the EB or not. Certainly preferable to them never using the EB in the rain (to their possible detriment) because the book advises against it or they don’t have enough knowledge or experience to judge for themselves.

Goes back to my point awhile back on another thread about education vs dumbing down. Better to have all the facts and decide for yourself. At least that’s my vote.

PS My dad drove trucks, and he was good. Put a lot of food on the table, and was a great example and teacher. I have a lot of respect for good truck drivers.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote