Thread: Roof upkeep
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

I just had my Cougar washed by a "Mobile RV Wash Service" here in Las Vegas. The campground (RV resort) we're staying in doesn't allow occupants to wash or service RV's on the sites, but somehow it's OK for me to pay someone $75 to wash it for me, and they connect their hose to the same faucet I'd connect mine to.... Makes a "LOT OF SENSE" to me: NOT !!!!!

Anyway, my point is that I didn't pay the extra $50 to have the roof washed. I don't know how dirty it is, but I do know that it's not $50 worth of dirty..... Besides, I checked it last fall before I put it in the pole barn and I'll check it again when we get back home, so I'll deal with cleaning it then, if it needs it.

As for whether blue dawn (what I use) and a hard nylon bristle brush produces better results than the $15 a bottle product that DICOR uses ??? I suppose I'll never find out.

Besides, I walk around the "bottom of the trailer" and have not yet seen the roof (from the ground) so even if it is a little dirty or has some smudges on it, unless they're leaving black marks on the siding when it rains (in Vegas ???) then I'd not worry about it.

Your question about the dark stripes on the roof membrane at the areas where the plywood decking is joined (under the membrane). Both DICOR and Alpha Systems say their membrane will not support mold growth and that the dark stripes are a "reaction to the underlying surface"... (whatever that means)....

But, no, the TPO or EPDM roofing membrane will not support mold growth and any mold that's growing on it, according to the manufacturer, is from "organic substances that are allowed to remain on the surface"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote