View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #13
Jerry S

What? I find most 5th wheel manufacturers do provide the empty pin weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Most manufacturers do not provide a "loaded pin weight" for any model. The reason is because owners can (and usually do) load differently. That would mean the pin weight for one family owning a specific model could be significantly different than another family with the same trailer, but a different cargo loading style.

I suppose one "sort of reliable" way to determine the anticipated pin weight is to calculate the percentage of the empty pin weight and then extrapolate that to the trailer at GVW. As an example, if the trailer empty weight is 8000 pounds and the empty pin weight is 1600 pounds, that would be a 20% pin weight. If the GVW is 12000 pounds, then the anticipated pin weight at maximum weight would be somewhere around 2400 pounds. Keep in mind this is just an approximation based on the pin weight when empty and can vary significantly depending on what and where the owner loads his cargo.

Another, probably easier way to calculate the anticipated pin weight is to just calculate the maximum/minimum weight to be somewhere between 15-25% of the GVW. So for the above 12000 pound trailer, the anticipated pin weight should range between 1800 to 3120 pounds. Most of us anticipate around 20%, so for most of us, that would be the 2400 pounds, same as above. This is also the "middle of the road between the 15-25%.

As I said in your other thread, 3/4 ton diesel trucks do have a "niche" in RV towing, it's just not in middle to heavy weight fifth wheels and honestly, very few light weight fifth wheels have pin weights that are compatible with the limited payload which is caused by the 10,000 GVW. Some will argue the GVW is "artificial and the truck is the same as....." It's up to you to determine whether you choose to knowingly ignore the manufacturer's payload certification or follow it. Honestly, it's more a legal consideration than a physical capability consideration, at least in some applications. Which ones? That's the issue that can get you into some serious trouble if you're ever involved in an accident and wind up in court, accused of being overloaded.

I say, "To each his/her own".....
Jerry S is offline   Reply With Quote