View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

Comparing the Montana fifth wheels to the Montana High Country fifth wheels is comparing apples to oranges. There are enough SIGNIFICANT differences in construction and in equipment that a "one to one" comparison just can't be made. You can compare floorplans (some are similar) you can compare furniture (both models have the same color selections) you can compare air conditioners (Montana has two, HC has one is a heat pump in the Montana, both are heat pumps) you can compare refrigerators (both can be ordered with a residential or RV type refrigerator). After those similarities, the floor is constructed differently (solid floor in Montana, sandwich floor in HC), the leveling system is different (hydraulic in Montana, electric in HC), the slide mechanisms are different, axles are different, wheels/tires are different, pin box is different, 12" frame on Montana, 10" or 12" frame on HC (depending on length of trailer), Load Range G tires on Montana, LRF tires on HC, fiberglass front/rear caps on Montana, fiberglass front/conventional FILON rear on HC, Road Armor suspension kit on Montana, More-ryde CRE 3000 on HC, Wet bolt kit on Montana, not available on HC.

There are many similarities, but there are some significant differences. I'd suggest that it is a bit naïve to compare them just because they both say "Montana" on the front cap. They are two entirely different trailers built with significantly different construction techniques. The Montana uses "traditional" construction while the HC uses "light weight construction techniques" which means it weighs (by the advertisements) 1300-2500 pounds less than the Montana. Some things have to be significantly different to remove 1.25 tons of weight from a 40 foot trailer.

I'm not saying either is better or worse, more capable or not, more reliable than the other. I'm just saying that they aren't the same, and in some areas, they are night and day different.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote