View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 09:46 AM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
For me personally I'd rather be presented with an untouched trade in (whether it's an rv, car, boat, whatever) than the prettied up version for several reasons.
1. I'd like to know if the unit is/was rodent infested vs smelling Lysol and air freshener.
2. I'd rather open a door, or hood, battery box and see dirt, oil or corrosion and know that maintenance has been ignored rather see how pretty it looks hiding the facts.
3. Cost - paying the dealer is more costly in that labor rates for cleaning are high and covering up problems looming after purchase will bite and sting.
4. Negotiating - I have personally been more successful at negotiating a lower cost by listing defects that are obvious vs ones hidden by "lipstick".

This methodology works for me and doesn't mean it will for you. I am fortunate enough to have enough knowledge and experience to make a case by listing the defaults and what the remedies will require and the cost of same. It's my opinion that there are renters and there are homeowners. If you're a renter you call a number when the toilet leaks, a homeowner tries to fix it themselves. In my opinion folks who by Rv's, cars, or boats should by new if they are unfamiliar with the workings (much like the renters previously mentioned). Purchase new and when the warranty expires trade it in and by another new one and do nothing in between as far as maintenance is concerned as it will not be cost effective.
If you are the homeowner type that your purchase decision will be more flexible and successful if doing repairs are more your forte. YMMV

I agree with your first paragraph; the 2nd one, not so much.

I am a homeowner; bought my first one before I turned 21 and have owned at least one since; had 4 until 3 years ago now have 2 working on one I hope in the somewhere near future. I can wrench on cars, boats and bikes as well as do most anything that building a house requires. I have the knowledge and ability to repair most anything I come across, but, I DO NOT buy vehicles, boats or RVs used. I've never had success with buying used anything so stopped when I was about 25. I will say that I have bought older vehicles to rebuild as toys; CJ7, Ramcharger, Bronco etc.

Buying used works for some folks and they don't mind the inconveniences of it failing then fixing it. I do not have the patience for it because it always happens at the most inopportune moment and causes problems for not only me but those with me; ie; getting stranded with a failed fuel pump on a Sunday returning from the mountains with friends then laying in the parking lot of a Ford dealer soaked with gas while replacing it (the lead salesman there was my friend and went with the parts guy to set one out for me when I finally made it to the dealership). I had made the mistake of keeping that vehicle until it had over 90k - not any more. The same reason I will not keep tires on a vehicle past 40-50k - don't want the hassle of a failed tire.

Just saying that not ALL folks that buy new vs buying used are "renters" that are unfamiliar with the "workings" of whatever. Nor do those like me have to "call a number" to have someone else fix it. My belief is just don't have the issue in the first place, or don't buy something just to wait to see what breaks. I know there are those on both sides of this fence and that is as it should be. JMO
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote