Thread: Tire pressure
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #11
fjr vfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Provided the wheels are rated high enough, that would my 1st check (stamped on rear side of the wheel somewhere) before going to 80 psi.

From what I read the wheels are rated by weight and not pressure. I also found out while researching TPMS systems the valve stems are rated by pressure and the stems in my wheels are rated at 65 psi. I've made an appointment to replace them with the proper stems.

Most all the responses are what I expected. Since they would be stiffer than D rated tires, I would think they would flex less at 65 psi than the D rated tires do? I'm thinking Keystone planed on 65 psi to allow for higher loads on individual tires over varying conditions. Since the trailer manufactures just meet the minimum they went with D rated tires to save on cost. If they had installed E rated tires maybe they would have still listed inflation at 65 psi?

If you relate it to your car or truck they all run at something lower than the tires max rating. My truck calls for 55 psi in front and 70 psi in the rear for example. But with that said, I may just run them at 80 psi? Maybe I shouldn't overthink it? I appreciate the input. I have till after Christmas when we leave too snowbird to decide.
Thanks
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote