Old 05-23-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
MattE303, Howdy;

Allow me to ask a few questions.

1 How old are your batteries?
Could be they need replaced.

2 How often do you check the electrolyte level and top off as necessary?
Perhaps they have boiled out dead, kaput, finiteo ...

3 When plugged in what does the Monitor/control board (tank levels and such),
indicate re. your batteries?
If it does NOT indicate FULL (4 lights lit), then your converter is crappin' out
on ya. Mine did that this past winter. Had to replace the converter.

Some things to get ya started, Hope it's a quick easy fix. Let us know what
ya found, might help someone else on down the road.

hank
The trailer was purchased new last May. The batteries are zero maintenance. Maybe my post was unclear. I'm not saying the batteries drain unusually quickly, I think I get reasonable life out of them. My reason for posting was that I was just surprised that when plugged in, the converter would only kick on and charge the batteries after they drain to a pretty low level. I would expect that when I plugin, the converter would immediately begin charging, and keep the batteries topped off (fully charged) while the rig remains plugged in. Instead, it waits until they drain to a pretty low level, then charges them fully, then stops charging and lets them drain down again. This cycle will continue to repeat if I leave the trailer plugged in and the batteries connected.

I was wondering if this is normal behavior or not. It certainly isn't what I would have expected, and, as I mentioned, makes it challenging to ensure I leave for a trip with the batteries fully charged (I've never had to deal with this before, as our previous RV had a solar panel which kept the battery topped off while parked at home.)

I installed a voltmeter so I could accurately determine both the charge level of the batteries, and know when the converter is charging them and when it isn't. I also look at the 4 lights, but the voltmeter gives a much better indication of what is happening. The 4 lights are all lit while the converter is charging (as indicated on the voltmeter by a voltage around 13.8-14).

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote