View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Some folks, including myself, have added one or more solar panels. I have an 85W Kyocera that is used to help maintain and charge the batteries (when it is sunny). Rather than mount it on the roof, I mount it on an easel-type frame when boondocking. When I am travelling, it slips into a track which I built in the storage compartment. There are some disadvantages of not having it permanently mounted, but for us, the portability of it works out well.
When we are dry camping, we dont need or use a lot of the 110V appliances. We just do without and get by very well. Frugal use of both water and batteries will get you a long way. Whenever possible, we do not use the water pump. We have even drained water from our fresh water tank (by opening the spigot) into buckets. That way, you dont have to use the pump --- just pour from the bucket. Extra work and less convenient? Yes, but it does help.
We also use Mr. Buddy - a propane heater that has a low oxygen shutoff - for times when we need a bit of extra heat, and doesnt require running the furnace. We never leave it on when we are sleeping - just throw on an extra blanket.