View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

I just had another "thought revelation" (Sorry, couldn't resist) about today's repair facilities.... We've come a long way since the Model A and the Model T, but sometimes that's not a good thing. Dealers look for ways to maximize profit, simplify work requirements and minimize customer returns. The unit replacement method is one such way to do that. On this actuator assembly, if anything at all is wrong with it, there's only one small part that's defective. Say, the motor has brushes that won't connect to get it moving in one specific location on the commutator, or a bad winding in the motor, or a limit switch/ratchet lock that is not working properly. To have an electric service rewire the motor is probably a $50 service, to change out the limit switch is $25 with parts costing $5 ot $10.

The dealer changes out the actuator assembly for $750, customer is on his way, won't return because of a "loose bolt" or other issue and the RV is repaired... But, at what cost and to who?

I'd do some crawling around under that slide before I paid for that kind of repair. Maybe the actuator does need to be changed out, but is there a more efficient way to repair it? Check it out and make an informed decision...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote