View Single Post
Old 10-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #14
allmi01

Re: Toll road or not

I use the Illinois Tollway a lot. My dually is considered a class 6 truck to a trip from Aurora east on I-88 to I-294 and north on that to the state line in Wisconsin will cost you $10 and change. that said, the roads are in pretty good condition and take a lot of traffic.

When towing, I become a class 7 truck. In either case, Illinois tollway discounts the rates significantly if you travel off hours. Rates are higher from 6am to 10pm on weekdays.

I did 2 different round trips from Aurora to Harrisburg, PA last year and the tolls were close to $100 each way as I remember with about 1/2 going to PA Turnpike and that road is not good. Lots of construction to widen it, adding lanes and improving surfaces but not worth the cost. I-80 is free and is in better shape across PA.

Indiana Toll road is is decent condition mostly and I agree with other, stay on I-94 (some construction but fairly decent condition this year) until US-20 to South Bend and take that and 2 to get to that area. It will save a few $ and miles.

Mike