View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #10
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerdinger View Post
I think the idea with seasoning is you put a firm coat of oil into and on the surface. I think, if done properly, any oil will work, as long as you burn it in completely, so it doesn't turn rancid.
However, the flaxseed oil is the closest thing to linseed oil, without being toxic, so you get this hard, smooth coating, much like if you'd varnished it or something. It cleans easily by wiping it with a cooking oil coated paper towel (so far).
The stuff ain't cheap.. anybody wanna buy a 1/2 a bottle (joking)?
The idea of doing it in your oven is a good one, because the burners on the griddle aren't even heat, so you get the center of the griddle well seasoned, and the edges not as good.
I think I'm going to try to put it in my home outdoor grille, so I don't get the smoke in the house.
Flaxseed oil worked great on our Blackstone 17". I seasoned it on our backyard BBG grill - turned up all 5 burners, closed the lid, and let it bake at 500 - worked great.

Word of CAUTION: Blackstone's work so well, that you may end up being the primary chef for every camping trip We love it!
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote