View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Not too many years ago, EVERY travel trailer had a big front window. They were great to get a view of the campground, open for good cross ventilation and "open up the interior" both visually and by letting in more light.

The biggest problem wasn't leaks, in fact out of 10 or so trailers with front windows, I never had one that leaked. The problem was BUGS !!! Towing meant smashing those little 6-legged critters all over the windshield of the tow vehicle and the front of the trailer. Most manufacturers offered a "folding front awning" that folded down during travel and folded up to allow for some shade when camping. The nicest part was that all those BUGS were "on the awning, not the window" when sitting inside at the campground.

With the new "vista window" in many of today's trailers, it seems that manufacturers are "reinventing" the open feeling, but it looks like they "forgot about the bugs" and haven't included an awning to protect the window during travel. My guess is that within a year or so, you'll see an optional travel awning for those who don't like looking through "little squishy spots" on their windows..... YMMV

Ha! And there is the answer. Those big vista view windows on the front that looks so "neat" are going to be huge problems with thousands of smashed, dried bugs on them. My first 2 real life sized trailers had a front kitchen (I liked those) and both had front windows that gave a really nice view out of the kitchen...and both had closing front covers - which were always covered with hard, dried, crusty bugs you had to really work to get off....but at least they weren't on the glass!! The new stuff? Think I'll stick with my bed slide and full front closet.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote