View Single Post
Old 10-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #4
schmeg

Re: Why should we buy a Raptor?

My wife and I just bought a 2017 Fuzion 414 which is basically a Raptor with a different floorplan and perhaps different standard features and different available options. Essentially the same construction. We did a lot of research ourselves then went to the RV show in Hershey PA to see all the TH's we could see in 3 days. It boiled down to Raptor, Fuzion, and Grand Designs Momentum. It was the floorplan that was the deciding factor between these manufacturers. Heartland Cyclone/Road Warrior also was in contention. Forest River and Jayco products just didn't cut it for us. So,,,the reason we bought a Fuzion. You can use the same mentality for a Raptor.
1. Simple, straightforward construction. The interior doors are solid core. The furniture is the best out there until you get into the uber high end stuff.
2. The slides are cable operated on the Fuzion. It may sound unsophisticated because it is. Thats the point. Less to go wrong.
3. Fit and finish is questionable across the industry. This line appeared to be better than most in initial quality. (so far, so good).
4. It came with the appliances we wanted. We wanted a convection microwave, Suburban range, and a Samsung domestic fridge. AT first I wanted a Norcold 18Cu.Ft. dual sided model, but too many reported issues.
5. I wanted a Mor-Ride pin box, CRE-3000 suspension, and G rated tires. The Fuzion has all of that and a Mor-Ride deck fence and stairs at the main entrance of the RV. The tires are Sailun S637 G rated tires. All work good so far. The RV rides and handles with ease.
6. I wanted 5000 pound tie downs in the toy box. These are hard welded to the frame. Some brands look cheesy.
7. I demanded a comfortable living area that has a touch of luxury and comfort with overall feeling of quality. A lot of toy haulers make me feel like the living room and kitchen is a big compromise in comfort. Too much emphasis on "man cave". And no comfortable places to watch TV without craning your head. The 414 has an awesome layout. One large couch "ain't" doing it for me. Sitting 5 people abreast is no fun. Sorry. Ours has 2 smaller couches that are quite comfortable and well built.
8. We both wanted a kitchen big enough to actually cook in and appliances good enough to cook with. The 414 has it all. And we have a real pantry.
9. We wanted a decent sized master bathroom/bedroom along with a half bath for the toy box for guests. We got that too.
The price for all this other than the check we had to write? Its big. 43' long. Which is longer than what I wanted to lug around. I really wanted to keep it under 40'. Unfortunately the only models out there that fit the bill under 40' were the Fuzion 371, Raptor 355TS, and the Grand Designs Momentum 350M (very nice RV), but my wife won out on the battle for real estate. I would have been happy with any of those models. They are all 2 axle models which is fine and may add to a bit of maneuverability alone with being shorter, but they are also easier to gross out in weight. Once you load a toy or 2 in the back, you don't have much payload left before those axles are maxed out. The 3rd axle gives a lot more headroom, at the expense of the RV weighing 1800 pounds more with the extra length and running gear.
The RV comes with the Jensen In Command control panel to control lighting, slides, and the generator. We also have the IPhone Apps on our phones that allow us to do the same with those devices. Its nice to extend the slides from outside the RV when in tight quarters.
I failed to mention the Cummins Onan 5500 watt generator was a must have as well as a 3rd zone air conditioner/heat in the toy box. Ours came with that and a heat pump just for the toy box. 2 small A/C ducts just doesn't cut it. Sorry. I don't buy it for one minute. Not when its 95 degrees out. 2 A/C's will barely keep up in the main part of the RV.

We live in Maine and traveled to Hersey for the show as mentioned. We made a deal over the phone with the dealer we met at the show and travelled back to Pittsburgh area to make the deal and come home with our new rig. We towed 1100 miles and took 4 days and nights to do it, staying in campgrounds so we could relax and become familiar with our new rig and shake out any bugs. So far the only fault has been a loose piece of ceiling trim that I re-tacked up with a sheetrock nail. Everything works fine on it. It tows very well albeit its big and heavy. I tow with a 2016 Ram 3500 CTD dually and that truck works fine. I wouldn't do it with any less. the pin weight mandates a DRW truck. Gas engine,,,,forget it. Diesel all the way. I've gotten used to the length for the most part. I pre-plan my route first before I set out. I backs up very nicely. With 3 axles, I am careful not to turn too quickly backing up. I feel the extra capacity of the 3rd axle is worth it, but you have to weigh that value for your own needs. Just make sure you get good rubber. You'll need it. I hope this answers your questions. Yes, I would do it all over again. Just choose the floorplan that fits your needs. If I was ordering, I would spring for full body paint. Its expensive, but it looks great and less prone to fade. Much less.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1355.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	11335