View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #163
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Give me an LT tire in a 235/85/16 that provides 3500 lbs. or more of documented load capacity at my wheel limit of 80 pounds and I'm all over it.. or for that matter find me a 16" x6 rime with a 6 on 5.5" pattern and I'm all over that too... I just don't want to spend several thousands of dollars to replace axles and equipment to do it.. I'd rather just wait and buy a trailer equipped with 7K axles...
In the evolution of tires it has become necessary to better describe the tires in use. Before the internet became saturated with tire information, people in the industry knew what a tire size was without complete instructions. About 5-7 years ago a more formal tire description was introduced. When reading newer information that includes tires size descriptions you will find them identified as "designated size". A tire's designated size is like these two examples. ST225/75R15 or LT235/85R16 are designated sizes. The prefix is part of that size designation thus, it includes a design. Those two designs have their load capacities described by the load range lettering system.

The size designation becomes a factor when complying with the replacement tire selection recommendations to use tires like the OE tires. A well trained tire installer is not going to replace a ST tire with a LT tire, even of the same physical size.