View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #162
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
So far I have not seen irrefutable evidence to support the assertion that I break the law/rules or policies in the tire industry by mounting tires which have less load capacity than the O.E.M. fitment... [/COLOR]

I'm waiting...
I often write about that subject. Most will not take the time to do a complete research. Out of context info will become overbearing and vary misleading without a complete knowledge of how all the factors, when tired together, cause the entire tire industry to determining the vehicle manufacturer’s selection of the original equipment tires sets the minimum standard for your vehicle, car, truck or trailer.

NHTSA and the tire industry are in complete agreement that the following statement is the standard to be met when selecting replacement tires.

“Replacement tires must be the same size designation as the Original Equipment tires or others recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. They must provide a load capacity equal to or greater than the OE tires provided at the vehicle manufacturer recommended cold inflation pressures.”

This may already be in this thread but I’ll post it again here. It’s a sample of how some of the major tire manufacturers say it.

Goodyear: Never fit tires to a vehicle that have less load carrying capacity than required by the Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Michelin: Never choose a tire that is smaller in size or has less load-carrying capacity than the tire that came with the vehicle.

Cooper: The new tires must have a load carrying capacity equal to or greater than the maximum load carrying capacity specified on the tire placard on the vehicle.

Toyo: Any replacement tire must be of a size and load range that will offer equal or higher load carrying capacity compared to the original equipment (OE) tire on the vehicle.