View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 03:41 AM   #18
xrated

Bob.....With a trailer that weighs in as much as the one that you've got ordered.....or for any trailer for that matter, it's always a good idea to view the potential weight that you can be pulling. In the case of the Montana 3810MS, that is 16,750 lbs....that's the empty weight and the Cargo Carrying Capacity. That number, times 20% would put you at 3350 lbs before you start adding everything else......5ver hitch, passenger(s) weight, tool box, tools, firewood, grill, extra stuff,.....anything and EVERYTHING that goes either in or on the truck......and only YOU know how much extra "stuff" you will be transporting and the weight of you and your passenger(s). Granted, that calculation (16,750 times 20%) is an estimate, that number also serves as a guide to know that you have the potential to load the trailer to that weight....thus guiding you to hopefully buy the correct truck to be able to handle THAT amount of weight. No one goes camping with an empty trailer, and only YOU know how much that you will load it when you do go. The point is that it will be somewhere between empty (not much chance of that) and completely maxed out.....ONLY YOU will know what all you will take and how loaded it will be. That is why, as a general rule, most of the experienced folks will always tell you, use the GVWR of the trailer and multiply x 20% to get the pin weight numbers......that is your starting point. Then by adding in everything else (what I stated above) you will have a pretty realistic number of where you will be weight-wise when you are ready to hit the road. If you've done your homework correctly and responsibly, you will know that you need a truck that is capable of of carrying (payload) xxxx lbs.

I can honestly say, you are most likely in Dually territory from a Cargo Carrying Capacity standpoint. The possible exception to this is if you are OK with a really stripped down truck.....basically the "work truck" type vehicle that has almost zero options and is just a basic truck. These trucks have the most payload capacity available because they don't have all the "goodies" on them that most of us like, thus the greater CCC or payload. All those extra goodies take up valuable weight capacity away from the total, so a truck without all of that will naturally have more payload. I can say a couple of things here.....with a trailer that size, I would personally opt for a truck that has some buffer or extra payload available...even when you've got it loaded to the gills. I would also prefer the Dually from a stability standpoint. You will have a lot of trailer behind you and for the safest and most enjoyable experience, having something to tow it the easiest way possibly, is going to be the Dually.....extra payload capacity and added stability from having two tires/wheels in the back.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote