Thread: New Hitch
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #20
Mainer

Looks like there is a who;e lot of advice on this subject so thought I'd chime in. Been towing various pull behind TTs with various TVs for over 45 years, plus a bit of CDL towing Long time ago. Used my Daddy's advice he used when I was a kid, trailer camping all over the West. Bring the TV front bumper down to it's unloaded height (or slightly below), you want at least the design weight on the front wheels for steering stability. Use air bags or overload springs to level things up if you don't want the squat. The distance from the rear wheels to the hitch ball is a long lever un-weighting the front wheels, re-weighting the front wheels to me is the only reason for a weight distribution hitch. Full weight on those steering wheels generally makes everything else fall into place if tongue weight is proper and other weights are within limits.

My first cross country TV was a 4WD 1600D International with a cab-over camper in the bed and pulling a loaded 21' TT, it didn't squat, although I did use 2nd gear on some hills.
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote